Teaching Artist for School Programs
Company: New Jersey Performing Arts Center
Department: Arts Education
Position Summary: We are currently seeking professional teaching artists within the following disciplines:
THEATER: Performance Poetry, Devised Theater.
HIP HOP: Emcees, Beatmaking (Beatboxing, Electronic Music Production), DJs, Graffiti artists, Dance (Jersey Club, Breakdancing, Popping & Locking, 90s classic, or Hip Hop Choreography)
MUSICAL THEATER: Songwriting
ACCOMPANISTS: Percussionists for Tap Dance; Pianists for Musical Theater and Vocal Music.
NJPAC Teaching Artists for School Programs are professional artists and educators who teach theater, dance, and music in various school environments across the state of New Jersey under the auspices of NJPAC’s Arts Education Department. NJPAC School Programs enable New Jersey students in Pre-K through 12th grades the opportunity to experience the performing arts through close interaction with professional teaching artists twice per week for 7-10 week residencies. These programs are offered to schools, community centers and childcare centers throughout New Jersey.
NJPAC Teaching Artists for School Programs are on-call employees. Work fluctuates based on season and TA availability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Conduct performing arts lessons (typically one hour in length) that are developmentally appropriate
- Create a residency outline and lesson plans (15 to 20, depending on length of residency) that embody the goals of NJPAC’s program(s) and meet the needs of the school
- Share lessons with NJPAC staff, classroom teachers, and school administration.
- Prepare and conduct a culminating presentation at the school which includes the students as content creators as well as performers
- Communicate with NJPAC and school staff regarding all aspects of the residency
- Participate in meetings and trainings at NJPAC
- Present a professional demeanor that appropriate represents NJPAC
- Travel to and work in all types of schools across New Jersey
Qualifications and Special Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in the arts or arts-related field
- Professional experience in a performing art form and working as a teaching artist or educator
- Experience working with diverse populations and ages
- Strong classroom management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills in order to interact with students, classroom teachers, school administrators, and NJPAC staff
- Willingness to travel to and teach in various school settings in New Jersey
- Willingness to attend meetings and complete paperwork in addition to teaching classes
- Willingness to undergo a background check & receive fingerprinting clearance
No phone calls please. Candidates selected for audition and interview will receive a verbal or written response. For this position, please email letter of interest and resumé to [email protected] Be sure to note the job title in the subject line of your e-mail.
NJPAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer