TD James Moody Jazz Festival Jazz
Ella & Dizzy: The Centennial Celebration
Celebrate the 100th birthdays of Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie with an exclusive lineup of acclaimed jazz artists: Gregory Porter, Lizz Wright, Regina Carter, Valerie Simpson, Randy Brecker and Sean Jones, all backed by the Christian McBride Big Band.
This musical tribute will feature music made famous by Ella and Dizzy, all interpreted by a top-notch cast of contemporary jazz stylists:
- Honey-voiced Lizz Wright, known for a unique style that fuses her gospel roots with jazz, blues, folk and R&B;
- GRAMMY nominee Regina Carter, widely considered to be the foremost jazz violinist of her generation;
- Valerie Simpson, whose longtime singing and songwriting partnership with Nickolas Ashford produced 22 gold and platinum records and more than 50 ASCAP Awards;
- Trumpeter-composer Sean Jones, who has released seven albums as a leader in addition to his work on Nancy Wilson’s GRAMMY-winning LP, Turned to Blue;
- Versatile trumpeter and flugelhornist Randy Brecker, a player DownBeat says “has never played an unmusical note or unshapely phrase”;
- Velvet-smooth singer-songwriter Gregory Porter, who has earned two “Best Jazz Vocal Album” GRAMMY Awards, for 2014’s Liquid Spirit and 2017’s Take Me to the Alley;
- The Christian McBride Big Band, a 17-piece, 21st century ensemble whose debut album, The Good Feeling, received the 2012 GRAMMY Award for Best Large Jazz Ensemble.
This exclusive NJPAC event is presented as part of the TD James Moody Jazz Festival.