Performing Arts Focus:
Language Arts and Social Studies
21st Century Skills Addressed:
Communication, Collaboration, Creativity, Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
By learning from Hip Hop’s history and vibrant culture, participants will be inspired to incorporate innovative, artistic, and student-centered strategies into their classroom. Along with learning visual arts techniques on reused, recycled, and repurposed materials, participants will be encouraged to tell the stories behind the artwork through interactive exercises.
- Demonstrate how Hip Hop culture influences the field of visual arts.
- Practice an arts strategy that guides students through the process of interpreting and responding to artistic work and artistic choices.
- Provide participants with a framework for scaffolding activities.
- Create links between the Hip Hop and core curriculum standards.
- Use Hip Hop in Visual Arts education as a tool to engage student learning.